Tuesday, April 15, 2014

365 days

365 days ago
As I look at the above picture, the kids don't even look the same to me. It's weird to think that we had to communicate via a translator and we didn't know each other at all.

We had no idea how challenging things would get. In fact, to remind ourselves how far we've come, tonight we looked at some old videos we took of the kids (without the kids around). I'd forgotten how both kids would cry each time we got in the car, or that we used to have difficulty communicating, or that - well, there are a lot of things that are better - but I should probably just keep those in the family. I also reread our old blog posts. I am glad to be where we are now.

Every now and then, I still hear that I am the MEANEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. Yesterday, though, I felt redeemed when the other child said, "Actually, there are ladies at school who are meaner than you are."

Tonight we celebrated with a steak dinner and cookies-on-a-stick. We asked the kids what they remembered about the day we met them (Answer: Not much). We also asked if they were glad we adopted them and why.

David: Yes, so I can play with my cousins.
Roxy: Yes, so I can play with my cousins and my daddy is awesome!

They don't always say that. But that's okay.
Today, we look a little older. A little more weary. But we're comfortable with each other and that's a good place to be.

One of my favorite stories to tell (and retell and retell - sorry, it's in my genes) is about the time David was in the principal's office. Another kid was in trouble, so Mrs. H, the principal told him that if he did that again, he was going to be in hot water with her! David's eyes got huge and he said, "If he is bad again, he has to take bath with principal?!"

Their English language is great, but idioms and figurative language are difficult. I have to be careful when I talk about starting off on the wrong foot or the ball is in your court or things like that. School has been better than we thought, although Aberle kids are spending more time in the principal's office more than I'd like. It's not always the other kid who is in trouble ;). But they are learning what is socially acceptable. We're also starting to work on table manners now that we have the time and energy to do so. And after months of refusing to eat pork, after eating ham and eggs at Grandpa and Grandma's, David suddenly decided that it was delicious and gushed over some Polish sausage their doctor gave us (along with pierogi and some Polish cookies - yum!). And  - should I say this out loud? - David is now sleeping at least until 6 am, sometimes even longer. I hope the days are gone when I hear him stomping around his room at 5 am.

We also have cut down our bedtime routine from 2 hours to about 10-15 minutes. I no longer get scared to handle them in the morning or evening by myself. They now perform almost all personal care tasks by themselves. They have chores that they do to help out around the house, although they complain sometimes. It's hard for me to remember the blur and stress of months ago. They've come a long way, and so have I.

They definitely keep things interesting around here. I found the letters ROXY carved into our piano. I still ponder the unanswerables, like how could my good kitchen shears have disappeared without a trace? Or, is it better to live with snowpants, snowboots, and gloves, or the zillions of empty cups and open refrigerator of the summer? And the day Bryan overheard David: "What do you want to do today, Roxy?" Roxy: "Let's go break something." Or when I found my sister's old Cabbage Patch doll looking like this.

A drill is a bad thing to leave around.
Everything is going great with child #3 so far. About 10 weeks to go, and it's been really easy so far. The kids are really excited about it, unless you ask David. He can't admit excitement to such a thing in public.

In other happenings: In March, we went to Oregon, had a wonderful time, Roxy wants to marry Darwin (my sister's husband) who happens to be "the cutest person ever in the whole wide world!", the kids and parents want to make it back soon, and I loved being with my little sister and her sweet husband. For more information because I am a lousy blogger (along with being unphotogenic), check out my sister's blog.

In January, we hosted a Polish meal for a local benefit. We had a great time and plan to do it again this year. So if Dill Pickle soup sounds like something you want to try, stay tuned!

I'm sure there is so much more I could write, I don't want to overdo it. We're just so thankful to be at this point!



3 comments:

  1. Remember our first skype episodes? They sure have come far and we love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't tire of the funny thing's the kid's say... it was just as funny the second time as it was the first! It was great to be with you both again.
    Praying all goes well with baby #3.
    Love, Paul and Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I'm sure my children will be wowed that they and their cousins appear to be the best reason to be adopted into the family. :) Ev should get so excited...
    And I stand in awe and amazement at those 2 kids and where they were brought from and where they are now. Not that I should be surprised in any way but God is faithful and His grace is most definitely sufficient.

    ReplyDelete