Friday, December 14, 2012

How adoption has changed me

Although I have always been interested in adoption, we seriously started the process because we wanted a family. We envisioned our life with just the two of us and it felt...flat. No children to share life's joys and sorrows, no grandchildren. Even though I enjoy our life together and we're thankful, we wanted a family. (I know not everyone has this adoption option, so I am not trying to hurt anyone; just sharing our thoughts.)

Not only would we have a family, we could offer a home to children who wouldn't have had one. Sounds like a win-win to me.

But then my eyes and heart were opened. And, just like that, the plight of the orphan changed my life.

I think I've cried at least once a day for the last month. Even before that, my thoughts about adoption went something like this: I want to! I can't! I don't want to! I should want to! I can do this! I can't! Someone else would be better! What if there is no one else? Help me, God!

If you want to find the statistics, you can find them easily. They are really, really ugly. So ugly that I am ashamed that it took us this long to do this. Here's one: 90% of the girls who leave Russian orphanages at age 16 end up as prostitutes. 

But on the other hand, I read books about adoption. How, even as an infant, a child mourns the loss of his/her mother. They know the voice that carried them. It gets even worse as the child gets older. For every cry that isn't answered, every new caregiver change, each month without nurturing, their brain actually changes. Normal situations seem scary and another loss is just around the corner to them. They don't know how to emotionally react to normal situations.

The adoptive parents have their work cut out for them. It's not enough to love the child and provide a consistent, safe environment. They have to help the child learn how respond appropriately, to form their identity even with all the changes and loss they've already experienced, and to attach to their new family.

It's scary. 

I can understand why more people don't adopt or do foster care. It's disruptive. It must be so hard to be a parent anyway, without the added challenges. Someone else, with more discipline, stamina, perseverance, would be better at this.

Someone else would be better, but someone else is not here.

Our agency has a blog in which they post pictures or videos of waiting children. Often, these children have special medical needs or they're getting close to aging out of the system. In other words, it's hard to find a family for them.

I watched this video and cried. Then I tried telling Bryan about it and I cried again. And I'm crying again as I write this. It pierces my heart.

And that's why this has been a life-changing experience. We're walking into this with our eyes as wide open as they can be with our rose-colored glasses ripped off. No matter how imperfect our childhood was, we were given a precious gift. I didn't deserve that gift more than the boy in the video or our two children. Yet I have been given so much...and I didn't even know how much I had.

Anyway, despite how scared I must sound (and we are!), we really are excited to meet and love our children. Even though we don't feel capable AT ALL, we will do our best.

My sister has this quote at her house: There's no way to be a perfect mother, but there are a million ways to be a good one.

Hopefully we will be able to be good parents in the ways that truly matter.




5 comments:

  1. Lots of tears with this post.
    I just read this in the latest Reader's Digest:
    "What I did not understand when I was a student is that people talk to the chaplain about their families because that is how we talk about God. That is how we talk about the meaning of our lives.
    Family is where we first experience love and where we first give it. It's probably the first place we've been hurt by someone we love, and hopefully the place we learn that love can overcome even the most painful rejection."
    Kerry Egan
    I thought of you guys when I read that, knowing that you can first show your children love and then they will understand God's love. And no matter what happens, it will be worth it to have your kids. You gave them a family, love, taught them about God. It won't be easy but it will be worth it.
    Thanks for adopting. You guys are awesome. :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It breaks my heart knowing that there are children out there who may never experience the love and stability of family. Parenting is CHALLENGING but so rewarding. I have to remind myself that I only have to deal with today's problems today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lisa...I can only imagine all the thoughts that have raced through your mind, but I know that you're doing a good thing and God will bless your efforts. And, I love that quote about being a good mother! I pray every morning that I'll be a patient momma for Amyla and show her the love she needs to thrive...how much more magnified that prayer will be for you and your children!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, you echoed many of my own thoughts throughout our journey of foster parenting. The "what ifs", worries, joy, challenges, frustrations, and love get all mixed together day in and day out. But so thankful that Our God is the One Who sustains us, through HIS strength we can continue on with parenting our own biological children and those we are entrusted with for a season. Praise to Him for His magnificent grace. IT'S WORTH IT ALL :)
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa and Bryan, you are amazing people and will be wonderful as parents. Love & prayers!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete