Saturday, July 20, 2013

Happy birthday, Roxy!

Thursday, Roxy turned 6. For days she had been counting down to her birthday. When it finally arrived, she was excited. I had all these dreams of creating fun birthday traditions, but unfortunately, months ago, I had scheduled an important meeting on the night of her birthday. So, we had to adjust. Bryan stayed home with them while I worked in the morning. Then they picked me up at work in the early afternoon so we could enjoy the Children's Discovery Museum, ice cream (both generously given to us by my second year students), back to work for the meeting, and then out for pizza. Bryan is very good at giving flowers, so Roxy got a special delivery of flowers and balloons. She was also excited to get a card - with a kitten on it! - from my aunt.

I taught her, ...You live in a zoo, you look like a monkey, and you act like one, too. She thought it was funny when I sang it, but did not like David singing it. So we had to sing the regular version.

Saturday, my family got together, so I thought it would be a good time to celebrate Roxy's birthday. I made a cake. And it was a sorry excuse for a cake, if I have ever seen one. I thought about putting it on Pinterest, just to see what would happen (and to make other people feel good about themselves). But she was excited about it anyway and gobbled up 3 pieces through the day.

Friday, Bryan and I took the evening off. For the first time since April 18, someone else put the kids to bed. Since it went so well, I think we'll do it again. Anyway, during our quiet time, we were able to have some uninterrupted conversations, including one of the following.

One of us frequently annoys the other. I - I mean, the person who annoys the other - asked Bryan (oops, I mean the person who gets annoyed) whether I was annoying him as often as I used to. 

"No," he said, "you don't have time to annoy me. Actually," he continued, sounding disappointed, "I don't even have time to get offended. I probably won't be able to find time to be offended until they're 18."

If you don't know us that well, you probably won't think that conversation is as funny as I do. I thought it was hysterical.

The kids have been heard speaking in English to each other, which is something that hasn't happened before.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we babysat Baby J for a few hours this week. It was so good to see him, even if he cried when I took him from his dad :(. The kids did really well with him, too, and asked when we could watch him again.

1 comment:

  1. Your posts are quite delightful, Lisa, but pictures would be very nice...

    ReplyDelete