Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Home for one month

Now that we've been home for one month, I've had time to reflect on our time in Poland and compare it here. Poland was challenging because we didn't speak the language, it was very "intense" parenting, and we were still getting to know each other.

Well, we're still getting to know each other. Even though we have some relief and speak the language here, we still have to deal with intense parenting...along with all our other responsibilities. When I think about what things were at the beginning, we have come a long way.

How is it going? We hear that often. I usually say that things are going well considering how much has changed. But it's still challenging. There are days when I can't remember if I showered. I rarely get more than 6 hours of sleep, I stay up late almost every night, and I'm usually up early. We're still building trust. Several times each day, David asks me to repeat something I said. "Are you telling me the truth? Are you really?" That is something I didn't expect...I never doubted my parents told me the truth. It also feels strange to me that other parents can communicate to their children in the same language without doing charades or using Google Translate.

It is exhausting, but we're settling into a routine, of sorts. When we were first home, I felt that I had to be with them for every minute they were awake (they had no judgment of safety or anything else). Now I stay in the house sometimes and can watch them through the window for a few minutes.
Things usually go much better when I play with them for several hours a day. They can entertain themselves, but not for long.

We went to the doctor last week for a routine, welcome-to-the-country visit. The kids had to have lots of blood drawn to check for the usual orphanage culprits plus some shots. Roxy was not a fan. She had to be held down and when it was over, she gently kicked anyone who came close to her. We have some followup testing/appointments, but everything seems to be okay. We also took Roxy to an opthalmologist today. She was born with her eye lenses in the wrong place, so she has never been able to see well. They told us that she would have been blind if the lenses were lower in her eye, so we are really grateful that she can see as well as she does. Actually, they said her eyes were quite healthy-looking which made us happy. She needs a weaker prescription for her glasses which should help her lazy eye, too. Next week we have more appointments, but hopefully they're easy!

Our social worker also came over this week to do our 30 day check. We have to do three more annual visits and then I think we're all done. Anyway, everything was fine.

Life is busy and full and more exciting than it ever was before :).

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa I love your blog. I pray for you often :) sometimes when I'm bored i think how exhausted you must be! But it's amazing to watch ur journey as it unfolds. Continue to keep us posted... Whenever u find the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, momma! I will keep praying for your family. It is exhausting to be a parent at times, let alone, parents to children raised in a different culture. Thank you for your honest updates and busy momma thoughts.

    ReplyDelete