Friday, August 23, 2013

The End of Summer, the Beginning of School

I am not an exciting mother. I forgot how to play a long time ago, so when they ask me to play with them, I'm kind of clueless.

"Mom, can you play Legos with us?"

"Uh, what do I do?"

"Take this plane and fly to Florida. It's in the living room. Then you will need to get $2000 and give it me. The bank is in the kitchen."

I would like to be a fun mom and have all these plans of cool crafts and stuff but I don't. And I'm not. I would like to be more selfless and more willing to serve my family with grace and gentleness. I truly admire mothers who are like this. But it's not me. In fact, if mothering styles were pieces of clothing, I would be at the bottom of the laundry basket, the last resort, rumpled, stained, and maybe a few holes. It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done. Hopefully I improve with age and practice.

That's why I think this next story is funny.

This week, I ran out of clean plates. 20+ years ago, my mom served a normal, every day meal on her china. It made such an impression on me that I can still remember how the Betty Ford Chicken looked on the pale blue and pink china.

Out of plates? Why not improvise by making the meal special? So I dragged out cloth napkins, my Target fake china, good silverware, wine goblets, and my special carafe for water.

"What are you doing?!" the kids asked.

When Bryan got home, they dragged him to look at the table. "Mom's crazy! Look at this!"

Nothing like a little fake china, hot dogs and tator tots to create some memories :).

During the last couple of weeks, things kept getting more and more normal. David threw clean clothes down the laundry shoot, so he didn't have to put them away upstairs. Our house also has only baby toys, is boring, there aren't enough kids, I never let them do anything, and they never get to have any fun. Oh, and they're tired of me being their boss and want to eat more chips, even when dinnertime is just an hour away. Doesn't that sound refreshingly normal :)?

They had been getting more and more ready for school to start, even if they didn't know it. In fact, Monday, our last day to play at home all day long, was kind of painful. They were driving each other crazy, and me, too. In a desperate attempt to preserve my own sanity, I created a Treasure Hunt. It was also to see how much David could read, but please, let's keep that secret between us, okay? Anyway, it took me about an hour to write all the clues and hide them. I purposefully made them jump between all three floors of the house to make them really tired and take more time. At the end, they each had a little prize. It only took 15 minutes :(. Anyway, we survived the day and lived to start school on Wednesday. YAY!

School

Bryan and I are so impressed with the kids' school. We had a meeting last week with a largish group of people who seem really dedicated and interested in making the kids as successful/welcomed as possible.

We've been trying to prep the kids. "If you have to go to the bathroom, what do you do? If you don't understand something, what do you tell your teacher?" They picked their clothes out the night before school started. David even ironed his shirt! And they packed their own lunches. I am sure that's not going to last.

Wednesday was the big day. "Mom!" Hissed a loud voice at 5:07 am, "is it time to get up yet?"

"No, it isn't, David. Not unless you would like to start the laundry, cook breakfast, and set the table. No? Okay, go back to bed."

When I woke up Roxy, she said, "Mom, I'm scared."

Scared or anxious, they gamely got ready and put their brave faces on at some point, so by the time the bus came, neither appeared anxious or looked back. They did wave out the window. Roxy "flagged" the bus down, which I thought was cute. They think it's crazy that they don't have to pay any money to ride the bus.

Two brave kids waiting for the bus.

I don't want to sound like a whiner, so I'll just say it's been a "challenging" summer. Because of that, I may or may not have been (okay, I was) counting down the days until school started...even though I know that time goes by so quickly and you blink and they're driving to school and they don't even take time to tell you that you're boring anymore or that there is nothing to do, because they're so outta here and who wants to be home at all anyway? 

I fully expected to put them on the bus and kick my heels together as I ran back to the house to drink coffee and read my Bible with nothing but excitement for my house that will stay cleaner, the dishwasher that will be empty, the silence. Oh, the beautiful silence. But there was a tiny, tiny piece of my heart that ached a little for my kids to go to a new school where they didn't know many people and don't speak the language super well. It wasn't sadness that the kids would be away from me, but the fact that they were scared and anxious and the best thing was for them to find out that being scared and anxious shouldn't hold you back from testing your wings.

Aaaaaaahhhhh. Peace and quiet.


And did it ever work out. I ate lunch with the kids and they were doing fine. Their teachers said everything was good. Later I found out that David say "Happy Birthday" to a classmate in Polish. When the bus dropped them off, they ran with open arms and backpacks trailing and I could see the excitement on their faces. They faced their fears - and WON!

I heard David talking to the kittens: "Me school today. Had very much fun. I'll be there tomorrow too." He said there wasn't anything he didn't like and that his teacher is good and they read a book called David goes to school. And his teacher emailed me later and said he interacted really well with everyone and kept up with no problems. Roxy's face lit up every time she talked about it. Her teacher said she smiled a lot in the classroom. Roxy was a big fan of the Smart Board. Oh, and me? I did enjoy a quiet day and I look forward to more like it :).

Then the next morning, the principal called me and said that David had led the morning announcements over the intercom. It was probably my proudest moment so far as a parent. When he came home, he acted like it wasn't a big deal.

Discipline

I read or heard that kids who are old enough can pick up your disciplining style in 3 months. I had decided to try to simplify our bedtime routine, so I was no longer going to crawl into Roxy's bed until she fell asleep. She didn't like that.

She narrowed her eyes, held up one index finger, and said very firmly. "Get. Into. Bed. NOOOOOOW." She had to repeat herself several times because I wasn't obeying. With each time, her voice got slower and more enunciated. Finally, she said, "You can get into bed, or you can go take a nap." A nap?! Yes! I wonder where she learned these techniques.

Questions and Misc.

The questions are still flying around here.

"Why do moose live in Canada?"

"Because they don't live in Florida."

"Why?"

"They can't stand flamingos."

"Why?"

"Because they're pink." And then I stop being a smart alec, but only because I am running out of answers. I've also fielded questions on Pearl Harbor, geology, science, religion, and many other subjects. My answers probably just confirm that I don't know very much.

First overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All four of us were fighting over the "Who is the most excited for the kids to stay overnight at Grandma's" title. I'm not sure who won the prize, but it went amazingly well. And we're all excited to repeat it :).

My old suitcase when I went to Grandma's. Love sentimental things like that.
Medical Stuff

After more medical appointments than I care to count, we're done for probably about a year. Everything is looking better than we could hope for. Grateful and thankful for that!

New friend

There is a Polish woman who lives close to us and we met her last week. She was wonderful and kind and just like all the other down-to-earth people we met in Poland. She said she is willing to help out with the kids however needed and is planning to give me some recipe ideas. Just one more thing that I am so grateful for.

Another meeting

Today we had an extra meeting with our caseworker to make sure things were going okay. It went really well, and she said the kids seem to be doing fabulously, all things considered. There are some very positive indicators that long-term, we're going to be a healthy family.

Adoption support group

We also attended our first adoption support group. The kids, as always, were nervous to try something new, but ended up having a great time. We worked on games that built connection and attachment. On the way home, David said, "Wow, some of those kids are crazy!" He was right, some of the kids were really active :). My kids aren't perfect, but at least I am starting to understand them a little and know how to handle them sometimes. I'm grateful for them.

This is one of the games we played. Who's your mummy?


End of Summer

This summer has been absolutely crazy, but in a different way. This summer, even though my life felt very full and very stressful (which, frankly, isn't any different from all the other summers in the last decade and a half), I've slowed down. I've spent more time outside, played in a sandbox, walked along country roads dotted with Queen Anne's Lace and oozing tar, riding bikes, playing hide-and-go-seek, checking out locusts and all the other critters the kids are interested in. This week, David found a raccoon skull, for instance. Or playing Tarzan in the haymow. Hopefully next summer will be more normal and less stressful.


5 comments:

  1. So good to read an update again and so thankful school is off to a good start! I don't know David's teacher, but Roxy's teacher is fabulous! And, they have a great team of people there who truly care about kids. Hopefully things continue to go well!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound like my boys! I make them eat too many vegetables. I ask them to set the table and fold their own laundry (which started when they started throwing their clean clothes into the hamper so they didn't have to fold them). That is the hardest thing about parenting...balancing the need to keep your sanity and spending the necessary time teaching, playing with & loving your children. Because they do grow up way, way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, coming from someone that grew up with you, Lise, I'm not sure you were ever good at playing. :) I think you play more now than you did as a kid. Just saying...
    I'm SO excited that the kids are doing good in school! I wish I was half as adaptable as them.
    I expect an invite when you make those amazing cabbage rolls too.
    Parenting is not for the faint of heart, that is for sure. I remember another mom talking about just wanting to eat a sandwich by herself. I don't really care about eating a sandwich :) but a cup of coffee and the Bible alone? Yes, please!
    You guys are doing awesome as parents - God is taking good care of all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading all the little parts of your life that make it "normal" life! The feelings whether good or bad are real and they come and go reminding us that life moves on and focusing on the good times will make us all more joyful and content but also realizing that the bad are there but God can help us through them. It is wonderful to see the progress that is being made and just how far you have come in a relatively short amount of time! Hopefully the kids keep enjoying school and you can continue to enjoy a few hours of silence and peace each day! We continue to keep you in our prayers and are so thankful to have you in church and as a support for our adoption as well!!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the updates!! I will definitely keep praying : )

    ReplyDelete