Friday, June 14, 2013

Settled in at home - one week.

I am writing this post, one paragraph at a time. So if you think it seems choppy, it is! Sometimes I get just one paragraph in every other day.

When Bryan went back to work, the kids asked me every hour when he was coming home. When his truck pulled into the drive, the kids chased the truck. "Tata! Tata!" And when he got out of the truck, they both gave him hugs.

"Do you feel loved?" I said.

"Yes." He smiled. "I do."

Sunday afternoon, we took the kids for a drive. We showed them their school, grandparents' houses, some of their aunts and uncles' houses, church, and went to Dairy Queen. Roxy responded particularly well to one of her aunts. I think it may have had something to do with chocolate/peanut butter buckeyes, but I am not sure :).

I thought they did pretty well. It was nice to get out of the house.

Unfortunately, David does not require a lot of sleep. I had great hopes of getting things done early in the morning before they woke up. One morning, I went downstairs at 5 am to get ready for my eagerly awaited quiet time. And about five minutes later, I heard little feet coming down the stairs. Seriously?! He doesn't sleep much, but I know he is tired. We're trying to figure out where all the creaks are on the stairs so we don't wake him.

A few days later, I took the kids out again for a short time. They did well again.

I've been trying to play with the kids as much as possible. So our days are filled with bike rides, board games, hide-and-go-seek, and eating.

They like to go to both grandparents' homes. Bryan's mom and dad have a Great Pyrenees. So they request to go see Grandpa's beeeeg dog often.

Since coming home, we've used more bandaids, eaten more cheese, and washed more clothes. The kids are discovering everything about their environment which means the water hydrant, car alarm, microwave, and every other electronic gadget in the house are inspected multiple times. I follow them around everywhere, because they think of many things to do that I can't even imagine.

I think the kids are doing well, considering they have been taken away from everything they have ever known. However, that does not mean that it's not without challenges. We are trying to figure out a routine, clarify our expectations to the kids, make a schedule, and find places for all their things.

We are planning to attend my sister's wedding this weekend. Maybe we will see you there!

2 comments:

  1. I felt a chocolate/peanut butter bond with Roxy :) She's my kind of girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another update...I check daily :) Yep, perhaps I'm a blog stalker, but I haven't been leaving the house much either these days. Can't wait to see you tomorrow...it feels like it's been forever! And, I think I may take getting up once or twice during the night over having kids up at 5 a.m. This momma needs more sleep/personal quiet time than that! :)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete