Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Best news I've heard in awhile

I know I haven't mentioned very often how challenging this has been. But it's been tricky to keep two older children entertained for days on end. It could be worse. We could be stuck in a village somewhere, even though this city doesn't have tons and tons of stuff to do. Challenges, challenges. Let me first say that I am so very grateful that we weren't here in the winter. Being with the kids sooner definitely would have had advantages, but I can't imagine trying to corral the energy when we could not do outdoor activities. So that is great news, even though I didn't realize it until months later.

In the course of living in this apartment, we've broken a few things. Some of them weren't our fault (the pizza cutter and towel bar fell apart with the touch of a finger). Others, like the glasses and lampshade, were. Our poor landlady is ready to have a heart attack.

Along with the list of items to be replaced, she also said that we're using too much water, so we'll be charged for that, too. Suffice it to say, Bryan and I are ready to leave this place. The longer we stay, the greater opportunity for stuff to be broken. And that makes us less patient with the kids. We get uptight when they play like kids. We're anxious because our landlady is.

We're trying to stay outside as much as possible, but still, June 3 (our day to leave this city) couldn't come fast enough. In fact, I was near tears several times yesterday, because of the apartment and 12 loooooong days stretching as far as the eye could see.

And then. Our adoption agency person called this morning. "I have good news! I think you are going to be able to leave for Warsaw on May 31 instead of June 3."

The spring in my step was immediate. Only 9 more days here instead of 12? I never knew three days could make such a difference. I don't know if we will actually get home sooner or not, but all I care about right now is that we get out of this apartment as soon as possible! And Warsaw will have different things to do.

EDIT: We have 16 days left in Poland, unless it works out to leave earlier (which I am not sure if it will). The way I wrote the above paragraph made it sound like we were coming home in 9 days. But we only get to leave this apartment in 9 days.

What this all means is that you may want to kid-proof your house before you invite us over :). We're still friends, aren't we?

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I totally understand being excited about 3 days difference. When I become impatient, hours can make a difference. We are praying that you will not feel to homesick and that these last NINE DAYS! will go fast for you.
    Love you!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh yeah!!!! So happy for you guys!!!! Our house is kid proof so stop by anytime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly understand how the walls are beginning to crowd in on you all. Can't wait for you to get home where the kids will have the farm to run around and wear themselves out. Hang in there for just a little bit more! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could suggest a clever game to keep them safely entertained in the apartment...not coming to me. I have issues with me own children! You can do it though - 9 days sounds manageable. :) (unless you are overdue with a child - then 9 days = 9 years!)

    ReplyDelete