Thursday, May 23, 2013

Subtle progress

Day to day, it's hard to see any progress. Are the kids really attaching to us? Are they learning more English? Are they respecting us as the authority figures? Do they like us?

The other day, we were out with our translator who also happened to be present when we met our kids for the first time. During our recent outing, she said, "I just want to cry when I think about how things have changed since the kids met you for the first time. Now they easily call you mom and dad, they hug you or hold your hands, they clearly feel comfortable."

It makes me curious what our friends and family will see when they observe our family after we get back home.

And just today I realized that I haven't been using Google Translate as much. The kids are learning more English, but I think we have just learned to communicate better without it. Roksana adds in a lot of actions when she talks which I think is quite funny. 

We have a long way to go, but we're trekking along.

Funny story of the day. I mentioned last week or so that Roxy lost her first tooth, so I gave her 2 zloty for it. My parents did the whole Tooth Fairy thing sometimes, so I thought I would give her money also. (Of course, she swallowed her tooth, but anyway.) Well, later I saw David trying to wiggle some of his permanent teeth. "If I lose some of these teeth, I think each one should be worth at least 10 zloty since they aren't baby teeth!"

How can you argue with that logic? He doesn't know we are going to be dumping some serious cash into his mouth without counting dentures. Hopefully he will leave all his teeth intact and try to earn money other ways.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you need to set up some kind of money earning/allowance thing for him - Wendy's boys are in love with making money! Must be the age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story gave me a big tooth-filled grin ;0)

    ReplyDelete