Friday, May 10, 2013

Halfway point

Today marks the probable halfway point...4 weeks down, 4 weeks to go.

I was composing this blog post in my head over a dinner of pierogi and cold vegetable salads tonight. But it's never as good as I imagine. The post, not the pierogi. In my better post, images of Ms. Frizzle of the Magic School Bus filled my brain. I feel like her, especially the Frizzle part. My hair doesn't like the humidity. Plus, I only brought two short-sleeved shirts (well, three, but one was a bad choice). All I need is one of Ms. Frizzle's crazy outfits to make me really stand out.

We went to an indoor Polish version of Chuck E. Cheese (without the bad pizza) yesterday. The kids loved it. It was fun to watch them run around, though I will bring a book if we go back.

Today we had our final home visit. We discussed court for next week. Everything is ready for that.

Lastly, we've realized that we've missed years of our kids' lives. But I guess I hadn't really thought about it until I saw a scar on Kid #1's chest. "What happened here?" I said, as I tapped the spot. 

Kid #1 explained that it was from a water burn. And then I finally got it. They were hurt without us. They have scars that I don't know. We didn't cause their pain, but we didn't comfort them in their distress, either. We just weren't there. 

I think that's why this will be difficult. We have to convince them that we are here now. And we are committed to them 100%. 

Even if their stories began without us, we'll help them rewrite their future.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are amazing. Happy Mother's Day dear friend! -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, half way there! I am missing you so much in church. I am sure there is a lot to learn about your kids but hopefully they feel your love and can gain a trust in you as their parents, comforters and encouragers. Love you!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete