Friday, May 17, 2013

The Zoo and International Day

Yesterday, we went to the zoo. It wasn't especially amazing, but it was a good place to run around. Plus, we got to enjoy wide open, green spaces for the first time in a long time.


The zoo had lots of fowl, chickens, peacocks, farm animals, a few primates, wild boars, and stuff like that. 

Today, we spent a few hours on the NATO base for International Day. It's for families of NATO, but the American families we met invited us. And it was great. 



If you know me, you know I like to try different kinds of food (and even if you don't know me, the zillions of food pictures should have tipped you off!). Well, this was amazing, because each country represented at this NATO base had their own booth of free, ethnic food. It was hard to pick just one - and fortunately, I didn't have to! The only thing that stopped me from consuming more was the size of my stomach. What was my favorite? So hard to decide...Spain's tortillas de patatas? Albania's mystery filled puff pastry and a baklava-type dessert? Bigos from Poland? A mystery sausage from the Czech Republic? A breadstick thingie from Hungary? Sausage and sauerkraut and dumplings from Slovakia? Some kind of kuchen from Germany? I also snitched various pastries from multiple booths. I wish I knew the names of all the things, but it was fun eating my way through various countries without leaving home. 

This is the slovakian food
They also had a Family Corner with kid activities. 

David in mid-air

Having something like this in which to stuff David when he is feeling energetic would come in handy sometimes :). 



They both enjoyed a couple of motorcycle rides.



They made cards for me at the art station.



David found a new friend and they stuck together (thanks to some saran wrap) during a race.



Coming home

I purchased our tickets yesterday. Our adoption agency person felt that June 7 would be a safer date. Even though we would love to come home a day or two earlier, coming home on June 7 gives us the option of a direct flight from Warsaw to Chicago.

I had a progress list before we left; now I will post one to come home

Step 1 - get passport/visa pictures taken of kids.
Step 2 - pick up the official court decree on May 31. Kids will be entered into the passport system.
Step 3 - pick up passports on June 3. Travel to Warsaw.
Steps 4 and 5 - not sure of the order, but kids will have medical appointments and have an interview at the embassy
Step 6 - pick up Visas
Step 7 - Fly home!

3 comments:

  1. NATO base sounds like my kind of place! I made some amazing Jambalaya last night if I can say so myself. Also, the fact that the boys (and myself) had 2 heaping bowls was also an indication. Praying this last leg of the journey goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NATO base sounds incredibly fabulous! And, I had to grin when I read "...it was fun eating my way through various countries without leaving home." Uh, Lisa? You are in Poland...you've definitely left home! :) So glad you have those tickets home!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete