Thursday, May 2, 2013

Stir crazy (and I'm not talking about popcorn)

Things are calmer than they have been in days so maybe I will have time to write a longer post today.

Our apartment is smallish. 55 square meters or something. Anyway, after spending days together 24/7 without getting out much, we were all going crazy. So I started making plans like crazy. Today (more on this in a minute), we went to a mall. Saturday, we're going to Torun, another tourist city somewhat close. Then on Sunday, we're hoping to have dinner with some other American families. Next week, we have a lot of appointments so that should help as well. We have almost three weeks down...maybe 5 to go. I will be so happy to arrive on American soil.

Okay, so today we went to the mall. It's really, really nice. Shopping exhausts me - and we only bought a pen! I am not a fan of shopping, actually, but it's a good place to go when we get stir crazy. I tried to order ice cream for the kids and got the flavor correct, but only ordered one (I thought I ordered two). Then when we decided to order more ice cream for the other kid, Kid #2 said, "No, chicken, no ice cream, no chicken." So we just left.

We are still learning more about this whole parenting thing. I want the experienced parents to feel good about themselves, so here are a few stories :).


  • We ate lunch at this upscale sushi place that had "really nice coconut milk chicken soup." I love food like that. So we went there. Well, did you know that kids don't really like upscale sushi places and prefer pizza and fast food? I suppose some things should be obvious, but...
  • I've started to say "No" whenever they ask for something at the store, especially if I don't know what it is. It's just easier. Anyway, today they handed me these tubes that were labeled "milk." What could be wrong with that? So I said yes. I found out later that the tubes were full of super sweet, sweetened condensed milk tasting stuff. Oops. More sugar. Just what they need.
  • One of the kids seems to be gaining weight rapidly, so we're trying to buy healthier food. If we buy yogurt, they eat 4-8 containers of yogurt per day. If we don't buy any, well, they don't eat any. There are worse things than yogurt, but it does have a lot of sugar in it.
  • When you need a bathroom, find a bathroom STAT!
  • The kids aren't supposed to go on the balcony alone, so imagine my surprise to flip through my iPhone and find a picture that was taken with the iPhone OVER THE BALCONY! 
  • We have had lots of struggles with sleeping. I could write a few posts on that. Anyway, so one of the kids complained about sleeping in the kitchen (fridge noises and stuff), so we allowed them (against our much better judgment) to sleep in the same room last night. We didn't want to do this, but we felt we had no other choice based on some other things. Anyway, the fridge noises didn't keep Kid #1 up, but Kid #2's snoring sure did! I will admit that I felt a small measure of satisfaction.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I'm with you on the "really nice coconut milk chicken soup". Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a reason that I don't buy chips, puddings, chocolate syrup, etc. I can't be in the kitchen to monitor what the boys eat 24/7 so it is just easier to not have it around. I'm told (by the boys) that I am THE only mother who denies her children junk food. Also, we have a rule that cereal is only for breakfast and that they can only have 1 bowl. I buy lots of fruit and veggies. Sure, my grocery bill is a bit higher, but it is worth it to me to teach them healthy eating habits. I took Evan to Destihl today and had the roasted beet salad. Tory thinks my taste buds are messed up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! Roasted beet salad...I had one at Station 220 that was delectable.
    The kids are weaseling their way into my heart already:)

    ReplyDelete