Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Apartment tour

How about a tour of our apartment?
This is our bedroom.

This is the living room/kid's sleeping area.  Our bedroom is behind me.

This is our entryway.


We'll take a break in this tour to show you the one of the desserts we got today. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
Oh, wow. Another dessert. I hate it when I'm forced to eat things like this.
This is our kitchen/sitting area. Cute little legs.
Shower, obviously. You can see the corner of the small washer. The toilet is in another teeny room, but you know what they look like.

We're very happy with the apartment. It's quiet (not sure the neighbors can say the same) and our landlady is really nice. Plus, the apartment is very bright, something I normally love, though not always at 5:30 am.

It was a great day today! Today started to feel more normal, like we are starting to understand each other. After a walk to the institution to have the Doctor check on Kid #2's cold/cough/fever, we headed to McDonalds...our first time in a restaurant without a translator. It wasn't too bad. We only got one extra Coke and an extra sandwich :). Seriously, we had no idea what she was saying except "thank you" and McChicken, so I think we did well.

As soon as the kids are back to 100% health, we're going to venture further...there is a small zoo and large shopping mall within tram distance. 

Someone stopped me today and asked me something. I shrugged, "Nie Rozumiem." I don't understand. And when we were shopping today, the cashier asked us something and pointed. We couldn't understand what she was saying, so eventually she gave up.

With the kids, it's much easier. For instance, I know that Kid #1 sometimes prefers a blanket instead of the heavier cover and Kid #2 sometimes likes to wear a tank top instead of a pajama top to bed. So when they are in bed and start calling for us, I usually start with that and offer a drink, if that's not it. And we know the bathroom words and "I'm hungry." And laptop. We also use Google Translate, of course. It's most helpful for discipline and to praise good behavior. Since today was such a good day, I used Google Translate to tell them how proud I was that they behaved so well. Then we put them to bed. Does Google Translate have a rewind button :)? So the moments of frustration with communication lessen a wee bit each day. 

The kids are learning Nursery Rhyme songs. It's really cute to hear them sing the ABCs with a Polish accent. I recorded one of them, because, someday, they are going to lose that cute accent. And I think that will make me a little sad.



2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! It always helps to be able to picture where people are. Glad things continue to improve!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting all caught up on what's going on with you all. I was telling Allie all about it and it must have made an impression in her cause that eve she prayed that God would bring her "teacher" and her kids back safe from that other country. I thought that was pretty cute. By the way welcome to parenthood where everyday you wonder why you ever signed up for this job, until you put them to bed...well maybe when they are sleeping;) No really only some days are like that. God is good and knows what He's doing when he gives us kids, He's teaching US!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete