Monday, April 15, 2013

The day we met our kids

When we got to the orphanage this morning, we were met by several different people. We were led into a little room with tea, coffee, and cookies. We were told one of our children helped set the table and wanted to stay for the meeting, but wasn't allowed.

During the meeting, all the information about the children was shared again. When the hour was up, it was time to meet the kids. I had not allowed myself to really think about how it would go, beyond a few things. For instance, I was trying to think of what to say. I wanted to say "I love you" but I didn't want to scare them. Instead, I learned the word for an informal hello. Then I wasn't sure how to welcome them. Hug or no hug? No contact at all?

In the end, this is what happened. The door opened...and two sweet children were led into the room. They were holding a plate of cookies they had made, along with two large cards they made for us with stickers, their names, and their picture. I didn't say anything or make an effort to hug them. I smiled, but that was all.

I asked our translator if they were scared, and she said yes. We took some pictures with them, but it felt awkward. Just being honest. 

But that was the first five minutes. After I whipped out a toy or two from my bag, we were in business. We played with other toys. Then we went downstairs to a little gym where we played together. Immediately, they were calling us Tata and Mama (Daddy and Mommy). Every so often, one of the children would say (in Polish): This is my mommy. When they left for lunch, one of them gave Bryan a hug. We didn't want to initiate any hugs, either, because we wanted to leave the type of contact up to them. 

When we returned from lunch, I was in the room waiting for them while Bryan headed to the bathroom. The first thing one of the kids said when walking into the room with just me in it was "Hey, where's my Daddy?"

The remainder of the afternoon was spent in active play. I think we will have an active house. When we left, one of the kids told the orphanage workers, "I want to go home with them tonight. I will slip out quietly, so no one will know I am gone!" The kids said goodbye when we left, but didn't hug us or make a big deal out of it. However, when we looked back, they were waving at the window.

So, how did it go? Better than I expected. We have lots of work to do, but we will take it slow and steady, and someday soon, we will be a family.


10 comments:

  1. My heart is singing praises!!!!!! Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful beginning! God be thanked. We pray the good interaction will never end!
    Love, M&N

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your title for today...it just seems like such a succinct way to begin the rest of your lives. So, so glad it went well and I love that they already see you as their parents. I'm sure the next weeks will hold their ups and downs, but at least you're starting 'up'! Can't wait to read more!

    Heidi (and N&A)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you made a good beginning with your children! I will be praying for you as you begin to form a bond and become a family. It sounds like they are ready to accept you as their parents, which is amazing. I hope their respect and love for you can continue to grow. It looks like you have been having a fun trip so far from your other posts and I hope the rest of your trip can be enjoyable as well. I will be eagerly checking your blog every day and cant wait to see pictures once the adoption is final or to meet them in person! I love you both.
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am rejoicing with you ALL!! What an amazing day for you : ).. I'll be praying that all continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! I have tears in my eyes:) We can't wait to meet them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! Tata and Mama - I love it! Keep keeping us updated - love to hear how it's going. And I really can't wait to meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Rejoicing With You!!!!
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love reading your posts and hearing how the kids are adjusting to their new "tata and mama"! Rejoicing with you!
    Ryan & Hope

    ReplyDelete
  10. *sniffle* It's all been said by everyone else, but what a sweet beginning:). Oh, you & Brain will make lovely parents & to such dear children too! (Cookies!)

    ReplyDelete