Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Kids speak the same language

We were planning to go to a zoo today, but one of the kids developed a fever last night. The plan was to spend the day mostly in the apartment to keep the kids out of the weather. We were wondering how to keep the kids busy, but our toys worked. 

The funniest activity (at least to me) was Dad Goes To Jail. The kids would "lock" Bryan up in our closet, shouting orders in English through the door: "Stand up!" "Sit down!" (They don't know much English, but they do know that, some numbers, and some colors.) Sometimes they would even let him out to have some bread and water.

We walked to the same lunch spot we went yesterday. I thought I ordered the same thing, but instead I ordered sweet pierogi, filled with sweetened cottage cheese and strawberries. They were good, but I missed my other ones. First we ordered the kids one meal to share. Since this was our first meal together, we had no idea how much they ate. They wanted fried potatoes (french fries) and chicken. And Coca Cola. Fortunately, the bottles were small :). From all appearances today, they are healthy eaters. They also wanted to take home the glass Coke bottles (you know, to give the prisoner some water). 

Before we went home, we made our daily trip to the grocery store, this time with the kids. They picked out yogurt, pudding, chocolate-y cereal, a sucker, and a couple of toys. I know you probably don't care what they picked out, but doesn't it sound like something the kids in your life would pick? While we were there, one of them dropped the Coke bottle and it smashed into a thousand pieces. Again, doesn't that sound like something that would happen to you?

We came home and they proceeded to eat 4 things of yogurt and two things of pudding. I predict a large grocery bill.

Today, they initiated more physical contact. When we took them back tonight, one child gave each of us a hug.  I definitely feel like they enjoy being with us. Still, sometimes I can tell that they need space. One of them held my hand for awhile, then stopped. Then later hugged me. 

Things that are challenging...it's frustrating that I don't know how to say, "Please don't stand so close to the front of the elevator that doesn't have a door on it because your coat could get caught." We're picking up quite a few food words, but that doesn't help the commands to do (or not do) something. We have at least one more day with our translator. She said that it will be good when she leaves because we will be forced to communicate. Now, if we don't understand something, she steps in. Thursday, it will be sink or swim (or more likely, Google Translate).

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to parenthood...embarrassing moments at the grocery store! (Lil Miss broke a dozen eggs the other week for me...ugh!) The 'normal' moments are great to read about. Thanks for the update!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my kids at the grocery store. And that sounds like a game they would like to play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last post brought tears to my eyes. This one made me laugh out loud! I bet they'll pick up on English very quickly--seems like I've heard when they're age 8 or below they won't even end up speaking with an accent(?) -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts brings back so many memories--I love it! One of the hightlights of our trip to Ukraine was what we ate :). It seemed the food was so good over there! As for kids, that was our same thought. Kids are kids no matter where they are. We would get exhaustd entertaining Hayden at first. Everything is so knew for them and you and there is not a "normal" yet. It is one thing after another after another. It will come though. And yes, they will probably eat everything in sight for a while. Hayden could out eat us the first 6 months and he was only 2! Enjoy every minute of it while you are there. Houston and I were a bit sad to come back to reality once we had to leave! -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so thankful its going well for you and your new family! I totally get the grocery shopping trip. Welcome to MOTHER HOOD! Well continue to pray it keeps going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I can't wait to meet them! They sound like fun kids, and so normal. :))

    ReplyDelete