Sunday, April 14, 2013

Days 1-3

We got to our apartment today and I finally have internet access, so how about a recap?


Friday, April 12
Our flight out of Chicago was delayed until 8:30 pm, so we didn't get into Paris until 11:30 am on Saturday.

Saturday, April 13
Uncle Lyle and Angelina picked us up from the airport. I managed to sleep a little on the flight over (which is probably why I haven't felt jet-lagged yet). Basically, our day involved walking all over Paris. And eating, always eating. Which reminds me, I must grab another macaron. Be right back...

Lyle, Sonia, and Angie are moving to a new apartment. They have to be out of their old one April 15 - and that meant we saw Sonia for a total of 10 minutes. She is very busy cleaning and packing. So Lyle, Bryan, me (and sometimes Angelina) walked around the Latin Quarter, the River Seine, Sacre-Coeur, Notre Dame, both apartments, took the Metro, and ate lunch at Chez Francis. Here are pictures of our two dishes. I want you to guess who had the Steak and Pommes Frites and who had the Grilled King Prawn with Olive Polenta. Both were delicious.
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to change the orientation of these images

We took a walking break by people-watching and sipping a cup of espresso and eating aforementioned delicate macaron.


We went up one level in the Eiffel tower. It was a long (gasp!) way (wheeze!) up to the first floor. I decided that I could pass on going up the rest of the way.


We then ate at Cafe Central. We had escargot (and I thought they were scrumptious. Really, I did!) and foie gras. Then the person who had steak earlier also had steak again, this time with a fantastic pepper sauce. The person who had seafood earlier also had seafood again: Creamy risotto with shrimps and curry sauce. We ate a healthy amount of bread, of course, and finished off the evening with Tatin Tart and Mille Feuilles.
Our tour guide eating escargot

We walked back to our Hotel and crashed until 5 am. We squeezed once more in the two person elevator and Lyle took us to the airport.

Sunday, April 14
We had outstanding service at the airport today. Everything went so smoothly on our Frankfurt flight and then to Warsaw. Our agency's agent (I will call her G) met us there and drove us to our kids' city. Our apartment has changed, so it is NOT the pink and purple one some of you may have seen. It's very nice and on the 9th floor. So our first rule as parents is "DON'T GO OUT ON THE BALCONY!" Now, to figure out how to say that in Polish.
Here is the view from our balcony
G took us grocery shopping which was quite fun. For dinner, I made some pierogi (actually, I boiled some premade ones - yummy!), a salad, the ubiquitous bread and butter, and apples.

Today, sweet Baby J turns one. One year ago today, I met him for the first time. Tomorrow, we meet our children for the first time. Both situations have been (and will continue to be) filled with challenges. But, in the case of Baby J, the challenges have been worth it. I know it will be the same with our other children.

Our staff meeting is at 10 tomorrow morning (3 am, CST). We will meet the children at some point after that. I will update when I can!



4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear how it goes with the kids - lots of people asked about you today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm somewhat jealous. Enjoy the adventure! I can't wait to hear about the kids!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited!!!!!!!! Keep us updated!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone else is somewhat jealous...especially when you mention the bread. Ahh, I love that bread. Enjoy it for me.

    ReplyDelete