Tuesday, April 23, 2013

It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful

Our Polish pizza outing was fun. B, our official translator, took us out (she said, "I won't charge you for this one, this is just friends"). The pizza came to us covered in this plastic dome thingie. Half the pizza was pickles, salami, and hard-boiled eggs. Of course, we served it with ketchup. And our initiation into parenthood continued...Kid #2 spilled Coca-cola on the table.

Bedtime had been challenging the last few nights. I had to prepare for the fight by being adequately hydrated, visiting the facilities, and eating because I didn't know how long it would last. But last night was almost without fight. Sigh of relief. In case you're interested, the routine goes something like this:

1. Eat supper
2. Showers (the order, decided by the kids, makes me last :))
3. Make the beds
4. Eat popcorn (and anything else they can get their hands on)
5. Story and short prayer
6. The kids get massages (in case you're thinking the kids are really spoiled, touch is supposed to be good for attachment) 
7. They usually try to sneak in a drink at this point before being herded back to bed
8. Lights out
9. And then Bryan and I rush to the kitchen and enjoy popcorn and ice cream and/or chocolate :). HAHAHAHAHA! 

We were told the kids have an amazing bond, never seen at their institution between siblings. So we were expecting them to not fight, but they are biting each other as I type. I think they're just like everyone else. It's funny how many phrases come back to me from my childhood. As they're bopping each other on the head, I hear my mom or dad's voice echoing in my head: "It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt." And I can't wait to break out, "If you want to, you don't have to." Right, mom?

We have challenges as we try to figure out how to discipline, create (and enforce) rules, make sure they get enough food (but not too much of the wrong things), and get enough sleep. Speaking of sleep, the days are longer here and our sleeping quarters are flooded with light by 5:30...which means that both the kids and we are usually up by 5:45. I asked Bryan if my eye bags looked bad yesterday. He just gave me the there-is-no-safe-way-to-answer-this-question look.

We are really enjoying the kids. And I hope we can always be thankful for them. However, knowing myself, I think we will eventually be really frustrated. But, wow, they are cute and funny now :). Life doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.





6 comments:

  1. I want to say "Because I'm the Mom, that's way" on almost a daily basis. I don't have any bedtime advice though, as our boys have never really fought bedtime. They love their sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B & L -
    So look forward to checking on you and your family each day. I have laughed and cried right along with you. Your words touch my heart each day. God is so good. We can't wait to welcome your children home. Let us know how we can prepare! I have a hammer ya know! Will travel! Love & Prayers. Abby (& Dan & the rest...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word on the pizza!!!!! I'll have to tell my Brian about that one! How was it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, meal spillings...Will isn't allowed to have anything but water at meals these days because he spills every meal. Ok, not every, but every other (I'm not kidding).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved #9 in your list - totally us!! There are times the kids will say..."We know why you won't let us have that chocolate/snack/etc - it's because you're going to eat it after we go to bed!!" Yup, one of the little rewards of being the parents :) Sounds like you are also learning another facet of parenting...the swings (daily & sometimes hourly) from thankfulness to frustration to why me to why am I so blest :) I loved how you summed it up...it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete